Thursday 27 January 2011

2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

Because my film is of the Japanese Horror genre, it was important to keep the genre present through out all of my pieces. I chose to name my production company 'Takeshi Pictures', this is so the audience can establish the Japanese element of the film from the name 'Takeshi'. the title of my production company is also written on the poster with other production information of the film.



it was important to keep a continuity between the main production piece and the ancillary tasks, to give all the pieces a recognizable brand identity. By creating a type font using http://www.dafont.com/, I was able to make a font for the title of my film. The continuity of the title font on both pieces creates a brand identity applicable to further advertisements and endorsements of the film.

For my poster and magazine cover, i used two similar images of Nana to create a continuity for the audience, and so they could acknowledge the character being from the trailer, and poster they'd seen before on the magazine and vice versa. I decided on using two different images for each piece rather than using the same one, as i felt the poster needed to connote horror by the light surrounding her, where as in the magazine, i felt is was more important to show her as being more approachable, as the readers are there to find out more about the film itself compared to the poster in which to draw the audience in.

The title of my magazine is 'Fanatical Film'. I created this title from the slogan of Odeon cinemas- 'Fanatical about film'. i felt that this title implied more of an independent niche audience.
In all 3 pieces, the leading character is wearing her school uniform. This gives a sense of`unity and continuity between the magazine, poster and trailer. It's also iconic in the way that it is recognizable she is a school girl, emphasizing her vulnerability.
To further establish to the audience that my film is apart of the horror genre, i chose to release my film on Halloween to emphasize this. FIlms such as 'Halloween' and 'Zombieland' also did so, recognizing that Halloween is a 'scary' day.


No comments:

Post a Comment